Today I set out to improve the my Tottenham Cake recipe. I had several changes I wanted to experiment with:
The hysterical results of experiment #4 are presented to you below. I mean, seriously. Just look at it. Really look at it. Isn't it just priceless?
That definitely didn't work out. I also need to use even less batter, because this time I really whipped up the eggs well and the entire thing rose like a soufflé.
But, at least things are looking good on the flavour front. I think next time I will use both vanilla and the super-secret-amazing extract, but I'm definitely getting there.
The addition of cream was also interesting! It resulted in this light soufflé texture, with almost a custardy feel. I will have to experiment with different cream/milk proportions to see what works best, but I think it's definitely a good idea to be adding cream - it will help keep the cakes nice and moist during transport.
Selling my pastries at the farmers market does not make me a fault-less baker. Quite the opposite: the more recipes I attempt, the more recipes I fail at, and eventually - the more I learn.
Enjoy this record of broken sauces, wasted eggs, and record setting sugar usage.